Hey all you crazy plant people out there! Did you know that compost can be great for your indoor plants too! There are so many awesome gadgets that can help you easily compost in your apartment or you can find a drop off point in your city. Here are two great resources we found for more info on composting.
Here are the a few reasons why everyone should try to compost whether you live in a city or in a rural area.
- Keeps a valuable resource out of the landfill.
- Waste less water since compost helps with moisture retention in our gardens and landscaping.
- Reduce civic costs for waste collection and thereby reduce fuel use.
- Extend the life of landfills. Remember residential waste is typically 40% compostable materials.
- Compost returns valuable nutrients to the soil to help maintain soil quality and fertility.
- Compost is a mild, slow release, natural fertilizer that won’t burn plants like chemical fertilizers.
- Provides organic matter and nutrients which will improve plant growth and lead to better yields.
- Reduce Green House Gases (GHG’s) in two ways:
- Reduce Carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions from vehicles used to transport waste
- Organics in landfills break down anaerobically (without oxygen) to produce methane gas, a greenhouse gas 21 times more harmful than CO2.
- Buried organics can react with metals in the landfill to produce toxic leachate, a potential source of groundwater pollution.
Are you composting? What is your experience with it, let us know!
We’re always looking for solutions that reduce food waste. Reducing food waste is the inspiration that prompted us to create Food Huggers. Our designs keep your food fresh at home by replacing single use plastics wihigh-qualityity reusable alternatives. Get to know our most loved products and see for yourself.